Clip this onto educlipper

Sunday, April 28, 2013

My thoughts on the Teacher of the Year Award



Here is the story from the newspaper

Just want to take a minute and express my gratitude this morning. I am thankful for the many people that have guided, directed, taught, and helped me throughout my life. I would not be the person I am without everyone who has been there for me; family, friends, colleagues, teachers, students, neighbors, and all else who have in some way shaped my life. Thank you.

When I started I never imagined that I would spend the first eight years of my career working with at risk and even post risk students. Yet it became the most important and pivotal moment of my life. It was difficult, tough, and stressful. There were days I questioned myself and wondered if I was really making a difference and helping these students out. Yet there was something almost magical that happened along the way. Students that previously were failing all their classes were now not only passing but in many cases getting A's and B's. I realized the impact one could have when you followed the ever famous phrase "no one cares how much you know until they know how much you care." It has become the theme of my style. It is one of those truisms like the law of the harvest. "you get out of it what you put into it" While I have put in much I have received much more in return.

I was quoted in the article as saying I am humbled and excited at the same time. I truly am. I am proud of my profession and the wonderful people I work with and have worked with. It is great to work with such committed and caring people that are there to help others out. Too many times we hear the negatives about schools, teachers, and students. There is much more good being done than not. The teachers I know are committed to helping out and doing what they can to work with all of their students.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the students themselves. I am inspired daily by them. I enjoy each of their personalities, even the tough ones. Every day, every class is different and unique. We learn and we have fun at the same time. In my book that's the best way to do it.

Finally, it was especially rewarding to receive this award with my wife and kids present. It was neat to see and feel their excitement. It will be a treasured family moment in which we all shared. Hopefully it will inspire them to be their best and to make the most of the opportunities and their lives.

Thank you all for your kindness and support.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on this high honor!! :)

    Enjoy your spotlight!

    Shannon
    http://www.irunreadteach.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete